Friday, January 4, 2013

Friday Favorites

Ya'll I could really get used to these 2 day work weeks!!  I want to share one of my favorite tools for teaching math.  Arrow cards!! These plastic cards are very durable and can be used in a  variety of settings.  Just stack the cards with the arrows on top of each other!
                                     



These are super great for students that are having trouble with recognition of teen numbers or those that have confusion between the teens and decade names.  I still can't believe how many 1st and even 2nd graders have trouble with this!!


These cards can be used to build 2 digit and 3 digit numbers.  Just slide them 
apart to show the expanded form.
Another super use of the cards is with students that are having trouble with digit reversals, writing 53 for 35 ...

When you pull the cards apart the mistake is evident. 

Color coded place value dice are great to use with these too!  

Arrow cards are a great tool that you can purchase or make yourself.  I chose to purchase 10 sets, because they are made of a durable plastic and to make that many myself would be a lot of cutting!!!

Please share how you have used arrow cards or your own favorite math teaching tool.  Consider following my blog for Mathy Mondays and Friday Favorites, I'll be sharing my experiences as a math intervention teacher and learning from your experiences as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...