Saturday, January 19, 2013

Friday Favs on Saturday!!!

I have had a super busy week!!  As a math intervention teacher I also serve as a teacher leader in my school.  I just completed leading a 2 day teacher training in math interventions and RTI.  Super fun and the teachers I worked with were great!  Thanks guys!!  BUT this has put me a little behind with my blogging goals.

Each Friday I try to share some of my favorite tools for teaching math.  Today I will be sharing and asking you to link up and share a classroom favorite too, because it is so cool to discover something new!



One of my favorite tools for teacher number sense to K - 2 students is the bead rack or rekenrak.  I have a large one for the group to look at and I also have small ones for the kids to use.  The bead rack is used to compose and decompose number.  It uses the 5 and 10 structure as well as doubles.  This a great tool to help kids visualize number and develop a quanitative concept.  I am thinking about making a video tutorial to deomonstrate using the bead rack.  But that is a little scarry!!  



1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa! I SO want rekenreks! I have said I would make them all year, but have not found the time! I'm putting it on my summer to do list!

    I'm your newest follower! Glad to have met you and I look forward to reading your blog!

    Happy blogging!

    Come by and visit me!

    http://forehandsphenomenalfirsties.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...