Monday, January 7, 2013

Just Another Mathy Monday! Rolling and Rounding to Friendly Tens

 Welcome to the first Mathy Monday of 2013!
There is so much I want my kiddos to master before they complete the school year.  One of the biggies for my 2nd graders is making the transfer of the knowlegde they have of working within 20 to working within 100.
Specfically from the Common Core:

2.OA.2  Fluently add and subtract within 20 using mental strategies.2 By end of Grade 2, know from memory all sums of two one-digit numbers.

2.NBT.5  Fluently add and subtract within 100 using strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.

   So today I tried this activity with my 2nd grade kiddos.  We did this activity together today.   We rolled the place value dice to generate a 2 digit number.  Then we made the number using the 100 bead rack.  Using the bead rack as support they then had to determine the friendly tens that the rolled number was between and decide how to get to the friendly ten benchmark number.  We then wrote the number sentences to represent how we got to the benchmark.  I used the smartboard to record the answers.   The plan is to work with partners on this activity again tomorrow!!  

This is a skill builder lesson aimed at setting the stage for mental addition using benchmark numbers.   I am offering the recording sheet and minilesson as a  FREEBIE at my Tpt store.  Check it out and please don't forget to leave feedback if you like and can use what you see.  


Have a great rest of the week!! See ya for Friday Favorites!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa! I'm so glad you left a hotlink in your comments on Kinder-Craze. I used to have the same blog template and it makes your blog feel like a second home!

    Those common core standards are giving me a run for my money, but I love the idea of using a bead rack.

    Maria
    Kinder-Craze

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maria. I hope you check back often for concept building math ideas. I'll will be check out Kinder-Craze too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...