Monday, March 18, 2013

Counting Coins using a Proportional Manipulative Model on Mathy Monday

I know that title is a mouthful!!  But I love using this manipulative model with my 2nd grade math intervention students, so I wanted to share.  

This model helps students that are still unitary in their thinking, meaning that they primarily count items by ones, and have difficulty thinking of 1 dime being the same as 10. And what is up with the smallest coin being worth 10¢ and a larger one worth 5¢.  You can see why kiddos get confused!!   These pieces are proportional in size to their value.



One side of the manipulative pictures the standard coin, flip it over and the back pictures the number of pennies that show the coin's value.  I also use a 100 penny chart with a dollar on the flip side.  Students use the coin manipulative pieces to cover the value.  After students become proficient using the 2 sided pieces, I then change to 1 sided pieces with the single coin only.  The next step is to make the transition to standard coins. 
So if you have students that are having difficulty counting coins this might just help.  I have just posted these manipulatives to my Tpt store.  Check it out.  

1 comment:

  1. This is brilliant! I love this and am so going to try it. Thank you so much for sharing. =)

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over for a visit when you get the chance.

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...