Thursday, July 31, 2014

Back to School Breakfast Ideas

I hope everyone is enjoying the last few days of summer.  I can't believe that my school starts next week.  That's right folks!! Next Week!   Along with all the prepping for students, decorating of the classroom, and organizing materials, I am also thinking about how to make the mornings smooth for my family as well.  So with that in mind, I am tested out some new back to school breakfast ideas that are delicious, nutritious and easy to grab and go.  My tween daughter and teenage sons were my test kitchen dummies.

Here are 3 of their favs in no particular order.

                                         On the Go Omelets

Ingredients

  • 7 beaten eggs
  •  ¼ cup of milk
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • add - ins of your choice:
-bacon 
-diced ham
-tomatoes
-onions
-spinach
-bell pepper
-mushroom
-your favorite cheese

Instructions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line the muffin tin with paper liners and spray them with cooking spray.
  2. Beat the eggs, milk and salt and pepper. 
  3. Add egg mixture to the paper lined muffin tins being sure to leave enough space at the top so they don't over flow while cooking.
  4. Place the add - ins of your choice to the paper lined muffin tins.  This is when my kiddos individualized their omelet muffins.  
  5. Bake for 18 -20 minutes, or until centers are solid.  Test with a knife; if you stick the center with the knife and it comes out clean they are done!
Store in the fridge.  Reheat in the microwave for an on the go breakfast.  


Smoothies are always a great on the go breakfast idea but I don't always have time to assemble all those ingredients during the morning rush!  Can you relate?   So the following make ahead step is a real time saver.


Blueberry Banana Smoothie

¾ cup blueberries
1 sliced banana
½ cup vanilla yogurt

Prepackage the ingredients into a freezer bag. Freeze.  To make the smoothie, just empty the contents into the blender.  Add ¾ cup of liquid such a water, milk or almond milk and blend until smooth.  

You can adapt this time saving step to your favorite smoothie recipe as well.  











Breakfast Cookies

I am adapting my great-grandmothers oatmeal cookie recipe for this one.   She made the BEST oatmeal cookies!

Ingredients:

1 cup Crisco1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 ¼  cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
3 cups Quaker Oats
½  cup pecans or walnuts
½  cup raisins
½  dried cranberries

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Cream together Crisco and sugars.  Add eggs and vanilla, blend.  Add flour, soda and salt.
Then add oats, nuts, raisins and cranberries.

Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Unused dough can be rolled in balls and store in the fridge or freezer until ready to bake.


My goal is to arrive at school 15 minutes earlier this year.  With these delicious breakfast on the go ideas I might just make it!

Do you have any great breakfast on the go ideas?  Please share.

1 comment:

  1. These recipes are amazing! I always freeze my smoothie banana, but I didn't know I could freeze the yogurt too! Thanks for the great tip!
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...